Being a mom of three kids and running a day care in our house I have had to figure out some ways to eat breakfast fast!
I’ve tried lots of different things to see what works with the time I have in the morning (which isn’t much!) and have found that the easiest thing for me to do is…SMOOTHIES!
I’ve added in a few special ingredients to my smoothies to help provide some more nutrients, vitamins and things that I need that maybe I don’t want to sit down and eat by itself. Putting these special items in the smoothie also helps fill me up a little bit more and keeps me satisfied most of the morning. I also throw in some protein powder on the mornings I exercise and that helps with recovery as well.
Here is the recipe that you should try sometime. Don’t be scared of the ingredients…it really is good and you can’t taste anything but the fruit…serious. Side note: If you don’t have a good blender that will crush ice you will need to smash the ice with a hammer or on another hard surface before you blend it with the other ingredients.
Strawberry & Banana Smoothie
- 1 cup plain greek yogurt (look at the ingredients though and see if there is sugar added in the yogurt…you don’t need that)
- 1 to 2 cups strawberries and bananas (I use frozen fruit…just thaw some out or puree it while it is frozen. If you use frozen fruit and don’t thaw it out it will become the consistency of ice cream…very thick!)
- 1 to 2 scoops chocolate protein powder
- 1 cup spinach (secret ingredient #1)
- 1 Tablespoon Chia seeds (secret ingredient #2)
- handful of ice
Mix all of this up together and drink it up! You may find that this is even good enough to satisfy those sweet cravings you have when you reach for ice cream. Stick enough ice in there and frozen fruit and it is just like ice cream! ok…close to ice cream…but it is a lot healthier for you!
Why should I include Chia seeds in my diet? Here are a few articles about chia seeds and their benefits.
We want you to be inspired, motivated and see success with the changes that you have in mind for yourself. Take a second and either follow The Journey or sign-up to receive updates via e-mail! We also have a few other groups where you can find us…here is our link to Facebook. You can find more info about The Journey on our About page.