The Journey is all about being REAL…Cori and I aren’t some made-up personifications that are out there in this blog world. We are REAL people with REAL stuff going on in our lives just like everyone else.
Today…we are sharing just a few things to help you get to know who we are (the REAL us). Read it & then tell us something about you so we can get to know our readers better too. 🙂
Here we go!
- I am a new mom to a 3 month old yellow lab named Indy. He has been part of our family since 10am on Sunday. If you have had a puppy you already know that I am tired and ready to be done cleaning up poop and pee…and dog drool.
- I have a tattoo on my left shoulder of a dolphin. Cori was actually with me when I got it. 🙂 (I think she still thinks I’m crazy for doing it). Someday I will probably get another tattoo…I already know what it will look like. I was once with a group of woman that were talking about people who have tattoos…and they obviously didn’t know that I had one. Interesting how some people have an image of how people behave and act who have some ink on them. Be careful people how you are talking about others…because you really should learn who people are before you start judging a type of person that you have created in your mind. Get the full story. Keep your mouth shut until you do…and then still only open it with some caution if you are going to put someone down in a conversation.
- I am the oldest of 10 kids in my family. I have 2 biological siblings…one who passed away from cancer when she was about 12. I have 7 adopted siblings too…and three of them still live at home with my parents.
- One of my two biggest fears are snakes. I detest snakes and will scream like no one else if I see one. Not a fan. Not a fan at all.
- One of my other biggest fears are kites. I have no idea why…I just don’t like them when they are flying up in the air. Gives me the heebee geebees. My husband and I once went to Puerto Rico and at this old fort is a huge open area of grass. This is like the big hangout for kids and people who like to fly kites, seriously, there were hundreds of kites all around me…and I had to walk through kites that were up in the air and it was terrifying (ok…it was really kites that were far away but it still took me looking at the ground to get through there).
- I don’t usually like to cook unless it is for a large group of people.
- I graduated from Iowa State University with a degree in Marketing. I was one class away from having a minor in econ. (love that stuff…not sure why) I sortof regret not getting that minor but in the back of my mind I’m not sure what I would do with it anyways.
- I really like flowers and having them all over my yard. I am experimenting with container gardening this year and we have tomatoes, mint, cilantro, basil, asparagus, peppers and a few other things all in pots around our house. My new dog is making this container gardening dream into a challenge this year.
- I am a creature of habit. At restaurants ..I order the same thing and rarely try something new. I eat the same thing for breakfast pretty much every morning.
- I am not one that really likes to get dirty…in fact I really don’t like things under my fingernails or dirt on my hands. But, I have done The Warrior Dash and I thought the mud was the best part. Go figure.
- I started up a group called Teen MOPS in Rochester, MN. I have met lots of teens that were pregnant or teens that were moms already and it was a pleasure to work with them and the other volunteers in this non-profit group. A few years ago I passed the leadership reigns on and the group is still meeting today.
- I am very quiet in groups of people that I don’t really know…yet I can teach a cycling class and “motivate” people in a loud voice without a problem.
- I am a mom to three and a wife to 1. 🙂
- I am lactose intolerant. I haven’t had a glass of milk in at least 12 years.
- I make my own laundry detergent and have been for almost a year now. (if you want the recipe…write me a note in the comments)
- The way I iron clothes is by sticking them in the dryer and turning it on for 10 minutes. 😉 I don’t iron. Ask my husband. I couldn’t even get the ironing board to go back down the last time it was out when I used it for a craft.
- I don’t really have a favorite color. Is that weird? My kids think it is.
- I am a bit on the competitive side…especially when I play games with my kids. I really want to win. You know that game “Sorry”…yeah, that is what I’m saying in my head as I am crushing them. (I know…I know…they need to win once in awhile but it is hard to give up that win!)
- We have bought and sold a handful of cars/motorcycles on eBay.
I think that I am a really good singer. Others tell me a different story. I still belt it out though.
- I like peanut butter and eat it by the spoonful…at least once a day.
- I have a secret BFF…Jen Hatmaker. I had the opportunity to actually meet her IN PERSON…and get this…GET A PICTURE TAKEN WITH HER! AHHH. I really think that we were long lost sisters or something. Our thinking is similar in regards to how we should be acting towards others. Our daughters have the same name (no, I did not copy her). And we sortof look alike. I think I could be her body double when she needs it. I don’t wear scarves but I would. 🙂 I would hop on a plane right now if she needed me to help her out.
- Workout stuff…I’m not a pro in any way or know how to do everything. In fact, it took me months to get up the courage to just try lifting weights and using cable machines. Today though…I really like to lift heavy weights. I get a lot of joy seeing how much I can lift over my head or off the floor. I can’t explain why…it is just fun for me. Deadlifts, push presses, squats…some days I can’t wait to see what I can do! I’ve also been doing some boxing lately. The sound of a glove hitting the pads or bag in the boxing gym. Nothing else like it. It is quite the workout too when you hit hard enough and keep moving. I’m also a certified cycling instructor and really enjoy teaching classes to others…and making sure that they leave the cycling room knowing that they worked as hard as they could.
- I believe in God and pretty much always have. Do I have all the answers to life and completely understand the path that my life has taken me at times? No. Do I work on trusting Him everyday. Yes.
- Last but not least…not too many years ago I was a Realtor. I’ve seen a lot of great houses that I wished I lived in and a lot of houses where I wished I could take a shower after touching the front door. That industry is quite interesting and is one that I won’t be part of again. I don’t like people that are not honest with me…buyers, sellers, other Realtors, lenders…the bad was outweighing the good at the end of that career for me. There were those that helped me and respected me and provided me with an income for my family…and I am grateful for those who were honest and made the days enjoyable.
“This is your life. Do what you love and do it often. If you don’t like something, change it. If you don’t like your job, quit. If you don’t have enough time, stop watching tv. If you are looking for the love of your life, stop; they will be waiting for you when you start doing things you love. Stop over analyzing, life is simple. All emotions are beautiful. When you eat, appreciate every last bite. Open your mind, arms and heart to new things and people, we are united in our differences. Ask the next person you see what their passion is, and share your inspiring dream with them. Travel often; getting lost will help you find yourself. Some opportunities only come once, seize them. Life is about the people you meet, and the things you create with them so go out and start creating. Life is short. Live your dream, and wear your passion.”
“she takes spinning class like people popping m&m’s.” kid from the movie Just Go With It
You know the horizon is there. Even though you can’t see it all the time, you still reach for it.
“Those cars are playing follow the leader!” Micah, leaving church on Sunday.
Preach the Gospel at all times and when necessary use words.
St. Francis of Assisi
Find more posts written by Jessica and Cori right here at The Journey. Cori will be writing her Top 25 Things as well…Be sure to subscribe to the RSS feed or sign up by e-mail so you don’t miss it. We are also on Facebook at www.facebook.com/smallchangesbigpicture