I was browsing the internet last night to find something fast, healthy and easy to feed the fam.
I hit the jackpot. 🙂
One pot. Pasta. Fresh herbs. A few other things that are healthy too. Really, it’s so simple that it almost seemed too good to actually work.
The recipe I found was at www.apronstringsblog.com and is called One Pot Wonder Tomato Basil Pasta. I tweaked it just a bit based on my family and what we like and I have included the recipe below that I made last night.
Pasta, Pot & Fresh Stuff
- 1 package of noodles. I used whole wheat spaghetti…cause that is how it works around here.
- 1 14.5 ounce can of diced tomatoes. Just dump it right in to the pot.
- 2 sprigs of fresh basil. Take the leaves off and cut the leaves up into smaller pieces.
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes. If I made this again I would leave it out…we have some kids that don’t like spicy things…and it was a bit too spicy for me too.
- 4 cloves of garlic. I didn’t have any fresh cloves so I used 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder.
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
- 1 large sweet onion, cut up in small pieces.
- 4 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil – put this in at the top
- parmesan cheese for garnish. ok…garnish? cheese is never a garnish. I just dumped a ton in there.
Dump all the ingredients (minus the cheese) into a big pot and stir slightly. Bring it to a boil. Once you reach that boil, cover and set to simmer. Every 2 minutes take a second to stir and then put the cover on again. Repeat this for about 10 minutes or until the liquid has gone down. Sprinkle some cheese on top and serve. You can serve as is or with some baked chicken as well.
This is something you have to try. You know what? Just go ahead and make this every week…cause it is that easy and you will just add it on to your regular recipe making list, I’m sure of it. 🙂