I just finished eating Paleo for 31 days, and I’m pretty sure many of you think I am C.R.A.Z.Y.
I might be.
Just because eating Paleo isn’t for you (right now) doesn’t mean you can’t learn something from my c.r.a.z.y. experiment.
Truthfully, there is NO WAY I could have eaten this way one year ago, or even six months ago. Just like Jessica couldn’t lift super heavy weights a few years ago. She’s worked up to where she is today. I’ve been working up to eating better. Honestly, it’s hard to even pinpoint a “start date” of when I began trying to eat healthier. It’s been such a slow and gradual process. There have been ups and downs along the way, and I’m sure there will be more to come.
One of the first posts I wrote here was about making a list of small changes you would like to make to improve your health. Then, start with the easiest one. It will be different for each person, as we are all at different places in our journey.
So, what are some small steps you can make to improving your eating? I think it’s probably easiest to add, rather than remove, something as a start. It was much easier for me to eat more vegetables than to give up sugar, for example. Here are some ideas:
- Drink more water.
- Add more fresh fruit to your menu.
- Eat one vegetable every day. (Already eat one? Go for two or three.)
- Add more healthy fats such as olive oil, coconut oil or avocado.
- Find a homemade version of a processed food you regularly consume. (Use your favorite search engine to search. You’ll likely find several recipes!)
- Add one salad a week to your meal plan.
- Eat Paleo for one meal a week or one meal a day.
Ready to start removing things?
- Cut out one sweet treat for a period of time. Eat too many cookies? Drink too much soda? Pick one item and say goodbye.
- Eliminate sugar for a month. (Or a week. Or a day. Start slowly, but give yourself a little challenge, too.)
- Give up eating out for a time period and prepare food at home. You don’t always know what a restaurant is adding to your food, and portion sizes are often too large.
- Considering Paleo? Eliminate one of the food groups (sugar, grains, dairy or legumes) for a month to see how it goes.
What are your ideas? Chime in in the comments. And, come back tomorrow because Jessica is starting a new challenge for making small changes! You don’t want to miss it!
Cori is a wife, mom of three and random writer who is learning how to take small steps towards big goals. She tends to be an all-or-nothing kind of person, but a journey to learn how to run (something she always hated) has taught her a lot about gradual, slow change. She has a degree in journalism and enjoys doing research and writing.