Not only are the people doing this challenge doing some amazing things…but their bodies are in the groove and they are developing those healthy habits to make their lifestyle better.
This week we are going to be movin’ and groovin’!
I have two videos to share with you today…one is an exercise that you are going to do for this week and the other is one of my favorite songs right now for my classes and workouts.
The Superbowl Squat: You can do this at home or at a gym…and I even tell you how to challenge yourself even more if you aren’t feeling it. The most important thing is to make this fun.
- Imagine yourself being a football player on that 50 yard line and down in that squat position. Your hand can be on your leg or on the side…whatever works best for you. If you do have it on your leg, try not to use your arm to push your body up.
- Use just your bodyweight, a dumbbell or even something at home (a milk jug weights about 8 pounds). If using a weight, place that just in front of you so you can easily grab it.
One Rep =
- Squat down like you are on that 50 yard line, reach down with your right arm, lift up the weight and as you stand up, push that weight above your head.
- Come back down into that squat position, place the weight back on the floor and stand back up.
- Squat down like you are on that 50 yard line, reach down with your left arm, lift up the weight and as you stand up, push that weight above your head.
- Come back down into the squat position, place the weight back on the floor and stand back up.
Beginners…you can use your bodyweight (no weights in your hands) or even a light weight. If you don’t have any weights at home…use a milk jug! Your goal is to do 4 to 6 of these, take a short break of about 15 to 30 seconds and then repeat. Do that about 3 to 4 times.
If you already exercise regularly…put this at the end of your workout. Challenge yourself with weights and speed. Be sure to get that butt low too with the squats.
Need a little bit more of a How-to? Check out this video that I made this morning (just ignore the post-workout hair and face and know that I am comfy wearing my $8 sweatshirt from a school I didn’t attend.) Superbowl Squat
The Music: I asked for some music ideas for my classes through our Facebook page the other day and this was one that was suggested…and it.is.awesome! I was already a fan of this artist because he is just pretty cool…but I have listened to him for many years actually.
Back in the day…I was in a youth group and we took a trip up to Duluth, Mn. I got to hear Toby in person when he was part of DC Talk. He was awesome then…he is awesome now.
So glad that there is music that is fast…and loud…and that makes me want to move…and that doesn’t seem to have words beeped out or that I have to worry about if my kids are listening. Anyone else agree on that? I can’t even drive home from the gym…a 5 minute drive…without a song coming on that I know has a swear word in it but the radio just had a different version playing or it sortof goes silent for a second. When kids download that song…most of the time they are downloading the version with the bad words in it. Something just isn’t right there…I know that this song…it might be loud (which I like)…but the words are safe for my kiddos.
TobyMac has a lot of great songs that are fast, which are great for getting that body moovin’ and groovin’. Not only are they great for a workout but they are great for cleaning a house. I had this blaring on Friday as I cleaned for about 6 hours straight.
Check it out right here:
Want to know what other music we suggest? We have playlists put together for you already and a few workouts. You can find them right here: Playlists and Workouts
Homework this week:
1) Do 3 days of the Superbowl Squats…but make sure you have one day in between. You have to give those legs a break! Record how many you did and how much weight you used…bodyweight, milk jug, dumbbell, etc. Watch that rest time as well and keep track of how much time you took in between sets. Don’t take more than 30 seconds in between each one.
2) Are you putting your plan in place? This part is all you…and your plans are all different. This is where you have to take that You vs. You mentality and remember that YOU CAN DO THIS and this is what you want to do. Now…go for it! This is the week to start if you haven’t started already.
3) All that other stuff we have been chatting about with The Small Changes Challenge…planks, green stuff, water. You may not get every day perfect…but you are trying and you are becoming more aware of what you are/are not doing and what it is that you are fueling your body with. The best way to remember if you are doing things is to write it down or use an app to help you out.
4) What is a song that inspires you or makes you move faster and push just a bit harder? Share your song right here in the comments! If there is a video, try to find that and stick the link in the comments.
Thanks for being part of The Journey!
Jessica is a mom to three kids, wife to one and a fitness instructor at two locations in Rochester, MN. She has also opened up a gym for women in her home where she works one-on-one with her clients.
*Always work with a doctor before starting any exercise program*